What is a Geriatric Care Manager?
A Geriatric Care Manager is a health and human services specialist who helps families who are caring for older relatives. The Geriatric Care Manager is trained and experienced in any of several fields related to care management, including, but not limited to nursing, gerontology, social work, or psychology, with a specialized focus on issues related to aging and elder care.
The Geriatric Care Manager assists older adults and persons with disabilities in attaining their maximum functional potential. In addition, the Geriatric Care Manager is an experienced guide and resource for families of older adults and others with chronic needs, including helping those suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease or Parkinsons or exhibiting symptoms of dementia.
Why use a Geriatric Care Manager?
Your Geriatric Care Manager can:
- Make a professional assessment
- Arrange care services
- Find community resources
- Assist with a residential placement when the time comes
- Be a source of information
How to choose the right Geriatric Care Manager in Manhattan?
Step 1. Go to a directory of geriatric care managers (I recommend going to the website of the NYC Chapter of the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers). Click here!
Step 2. Browse around and ask the right questions and make the right observations when asking (here are some important questions)
- Were they courteous over the telephone? Did they respond back promptly? Were they patient over the telephone?
- How many years experience in geriatric care management do they have?
- What is their prior professional background? (social work? nursing?)
- Do they have a website (review it and see if it is informative)?
- What are the fees associated with an initial consultation?
- What are the fees associated with the work you need?
- What are the fees associated with telephone conversations?
- Do they have any references you can call on? (it could be a client, their family member or even another professional that works with them (like a homecare
agency, like ours))
Step 3. After collecting all this information, try and make the best decision based on all these elements. Go with your gut instinct!!!
We hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or if you know of a Manhattan, NYC senior that could benefit from our vast array of home care services, please call us at 212-614-8057 or email us at email@example.com. We are a full service licensed home care services agency (with the NYS Department of Health), we accept all long term care insurance as payment and have a full time staff of over 250 trained and certified home care personnel covering Manhattan.
Christian and Claudia
Home Instead Senior Care
400 East 56th Street
Professional Wing, Suite #2
New York, NY 10022