Adult Protective Services

What is Adult Protective Services? Adult Protective Services (APS) is a state-mandated case management program that arranges for services and support for physically and/or mentally impaired adults who are at risk of harm. APS seeks to promptly resolve the risks faced by eligible clients with service plans that will enable these individuals to live independently and safely within their homes and communities.  Prospective clients may be referred by anyone.

APS is available to persons 18 years of age and older without regard to income, who:

  • Are mentally and/or physically impaired; and
  • Due to these impairments, are unable to manage their own resources, carry out the activities of daily living, or protect themselves from abuse, neglect, exploitation or other hazardous situations without assistance from others; and
  • Have no one available who is willing and able to assist them responsibly
    There is an APS office in each borough.

If you would like more information on an active APS case, please call the correct borough office:

  • Brooklyn Borough Office   718-722-4830/718-722-4812
  • Bronx Borough Office 718-620-8880
  • Manhattan North Borough Office  212-971-2727
  • Manhattan South Borough Office  212-279-5794
  • Queens Borough Office   718-883-8254
  • Staten Island Borough Office  718-556-5846

When do we at Home Instead Senior Care call them? We call them in 2 situations.

Situation #1. When we detect there is elder abuse taking place (sometimes through a family member who is being abusive (either verbally, physically or emotionally) or neglect (ie – a family member is neglecting to provide for someone who is not able to care for themselves)

 Situation #2 (Much more common). When we work with a senior who needs more care than they are receiving (the level of care required is  determined through commonly accepted nursing and social work guidelines established by the NYS Department of Health as well as through industry practice) and they themselves  (or a family member) feel that they can do with less care (or no care).  What are we supposed to do if we know the person cannot do without care and are refusing it?

 How do we call them? 2 ways

1) Call the central intake unit at 212-630-1853  (or call 311)
2) Fill out the online form. Click here

What happens after you call them or fill out the online form?  They basically determine if this is the kind of case that merits their attention (they tend to focus on cases that are of grave risk). They then send someone in to review the facts and to make an independent evaluation of the surroundings, the risk and the senior’s ability to make decisions that would allow them to live safely. Depending on the findings of this visit, Adult Protective Services can make recommendations, including going for Guardianship (something most people would like to avoid).

We hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or if you know of a senior that could benefit from our vast array of home care services, please call us at 212-614-8057 or email us at We accept all types of long term care insurance as payment


Christian and Claudia

"We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with some of Manhattan's most special people, our CAREGivers."

400 East 56th St. Suite 2 New York, NY, 10022 212.614.8057